Before you begin with the theme installation, make sure you already installed the latest version of WordPress and that you have access to the administrator account login details. There are three ways to install the Genesis Framework theme and your Genesis Child theme:
- The automatic ‘Upload Theme’ option in the WordPress Dashboard. (this is the easiest option)
- Manual file transfer via FTP.
- Have ThemeMix install and setup your WordPress site for you.
First you should install the Genesis Framework theme, if this is not already installed. Use one of the steps above, select the Genesis Framework theme zip file and then install it. After the install, do not activate the Genesis Framework theme. Repeat the same steps to install the child theme zip file. After both the theme files are installed, activate the child theme (not the Genesis Framework theme).
Note: You can download the Genesis Framework theme zip file from your my.studiopress.com account.
Below you can find instructions for the first two options:
Installing themes using the WordPress Dashboard
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to Appearance > Themes option.
- Click the Add New button at the top. Located at the right side of the ‘Add Themes option, click the Upload Theme button.
- Click Choose File button and then find or browse to the theme zip file on your computer. Select the theme zip file and then click the Install button
Installing themes using an FTP client
- Download the theme zip files (Genesis Framework theme and then child theme) on your computer. Unzip or extract zip file contents into respective folders.
- Using an FTP client, log in to your server. You can use the web FTP option located in the hosting control panel or you can use any free FTP software program.
- Navigate to
/wp-content/themes/directory (folder) location. Transfer the Genesis Framework theme folder and the child theme folder to this folder location. Then activate the child theme from WordPress Dashboard by going to the Appearance > Themes section.